Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Adam
    Participant
    #41004 |

Hey

I just re-watched the mixing/mastering DVD and picked up on something that i must have missed last time watching it. In the mastering session we are warned about using cheap plugins such as the free ones that come with the sequencer, and how they can crush the sound even if the plugin is not actually doing anything. So this got me thinking…..I went to my sequencer (cubase 7) and trialed some of the cubase plugins to see what effect they were having on the sound. And wow, DMP is absolutely right! I put cubase’s dual filter on a kick track. When I bypassed the dual filter that was on the kick channel, and compared it to having the filter on but in a passive mode (i.e. cut off was letting all frequecnies through and resonance was zero) it litterally sounded like the sub was turning on and off!! In other words, when the filter was off, the kick was nice and boomy ( i have a sub so can hear the bottom end) but when the filter was on but in a passive mode, it crushed the sound so much that i could no longer hear the bottom end – to the point that it sounded like my sub was no longer on! That’s how big of a difference it made! This was a big eye opener for me as i was actually using the dual filter on one of my tracks to filter in and out a kick and i had no idea what damage it was actually doing to my kick! Not all cuabse’s plugins do this thought. For example, cubase’s studio EQ didn’t have any noticable effect on the sound in a passive mode. Interestingly, even filter freak had an effect on the sound in a passive mode. In “analoge mode” it was more of a warmth addition rather than crushing the sound. But when in “digital mode” I felt it actually did crush the sound a little! Not a huge effect but still there nonetheless.

So i recommend trialing all your plugins in a passive mode to see what they are actually doing to your sound. You may be surprised at just how much of an effect some plugins can have even if they are not doing anything! They may actally be doing more damage than good!

tags: animal ringtones, car racing games free, instrumental ringtone

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Adam.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.