Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Tyler A. Stratman
    Participant
    #40400 |

Whoa… guess the forum-digging begins!
    At age 19, I am Smell Music and I’ve been working with house music for the past three years… I remember when I was out at a new friends’ house and I saw these cryptic electronic devices seemingly marginalized in the corner of his basement, and they turned out to be the CDJ’s I used to learn my way around the feel of house.

Nowadays I work with an old school Pioneer DJM-500 and CDJs 500 and 100 for my mixing projects. I was inspired by artists like Loco Dice, Kolsch, and Seth Troxler, because of their intense creativity and ability to defy the traditional “house” template and still keep the energy alive, perhaps even amplifying it. I love finding new tracks with jazzy chord structure and offbeat rhythms that really mess with your stream of thought.

Repetition is the beautiful thing about house music–it allows an expectation to perpetually rise and be satisfied with the traditional “4/4” structure of the beat, and then all sounds on top of that create this atonal, sometimes chaotic network of abstract feelings and colors that amplify aforementioned tension-and-release. We fall into a sort of “trance-state” when focused on a short and repeating phrase of music, where we become unconscious: the music becomes a function of our own mind rather than a separate entity we are entertaining ourselves with. It’s like falling into a daydream when this happens, in the way where you only realize it has happened after you snap back out of it, after the rhythm changes slightly and your attention is re-directed. House music is, for me, one of the most sensible media to communicate these abstract and subconscious-feeling experiences and emotions… My goal is to unify a group of people that search for meaning in music beyond first impression; I want people to experience music, and, in a grander sense, experience the nature of energy itself with zero expectation… It is in this state of mind that we are allowed to fully listen.

Here’s the link to my original productions and mixes on Soundcloud, it’s got an album that I’ve recently mastered that includes 5 tracks composed over the duration of the past two years on Ableton Live.

I figure that since this is a forum, let’s get to know each other? Feel free to send me a message or comment with anything you feel is relevant, I’d love to hear your tracks/mixes, exchange ideas and sound files, etc… Hmu! Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Peace!

Smell Music
    Tyler A. Stratman
    namtarts.relyt.smell@gmail.com
    Bellingham, WA 98229, United States of America

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.