Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • BigHaus
    Participant
    #11247 |

< ?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

PROFILE: Wunmi – Performer – NY/London/Nigeria

She’s performed with Roy Ayers. She’s worked with Masters at Work. She’s collaborated with Truby Trio. Her real name is IbiWunmi Amotayo Olufunke Felicity Olaya and this is her story. A true raw talent on the order of Bjork, this multi-talented sensation created both magic and memories whenever she takes over the stage. We had the pleasure of hearing her live several years ago in DUMBO Brooklyn at the now defunct DESTINY party. Let’s just say by the end of the night the roof, the roof, the roof was on fire and Wunmi let the mutha******** burn! An outstanding dancer Wunmi brought the crowd to their feet and the energy to the air. If you ever get the chance to see her live, you will not be disappointed.

NOTE: This interview was conducted over 1 year ago and recorded to audio tape. The tape, along with our camera equipment was stolen. Upon recovery, the tapes were outsourced for transcription to a third party without success. We’ve just re-secured the tapes and are proud to post these, the ‘lost interview series’. BounceFM apologizes for the delay in posting.

Here’s some of what Wunmi had to say:

“Truby Trio is the kind of shit America needs to open their ears to!”

-On Truby Trio

“Everyone in Europe plays American music. But America plays nobody’s music.!

-On American Radio

“The day I cannot look in the mirror is the day I know I’m done with whatever it is I’m doing. So, when I got into the music thing, that was the only way I could do it, was to do me. What was me? Whatever I felt comfortable. Whatever it is that my spirit says to me. That is what I do. So singing in Yoruba and English, broken English, being very African, being very English, being very real was the most important thing.”

-On Being REAL

“Roy Ayers. I call him my godfather. He was the first one I ever performed with.”

-On Her Godfather

“As a lover of all kinds of music, my preference has always been people who have messages.”

-On Music

“I’m not doing Afro Beat, I’m doing Afro fusion. People wanted a title, what do we call your track? I said Afro house would work, Afro tech would work, Afro fusion would work, Afro whatever you want it, but don’t call me Afro beat. That belongs to one person and one person only, Fela . . .”

-On Afro Beat

http://www.bouncefm.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News &file=article&sid=585&mode=thread&order=1&am p;thold=0

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.