Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • BigHaus
    Participant
    #11233 |

QnA: Val de Sole – DJ, Founder – Talkin Soul Tour

< ?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Taking the house music bull by the horns, San Francisco’s Val de Sole takes the music to the people. The annual Talking Soul tour, Val’s creation, serves as a platform to showcase and celebrate house music talent. With collaborators ranging from Mr. V to Eman, Val goes deep. Today BounceFM.Com chats with Val to learn his story. Here’s some of what he had to say:

WHAT IS YOUR MOST PRIZED MATERIAL POSSESSION AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU?

My marbles.

WHAT CLUBS DID YOU FREQUENT WHEN YOU FIRST JOINED THE SCENE?

. . . I lived two blocks over from the Sound Factory so I saw a lot there but when I went to Body&Soul in 97’ at Vinyl I was hooked I would stay up all weekend go see Danny on Friday, Timmy on Sat. and B&S on Sunday and because it was over at 11 I would go to Wetland around the corner for my fill of Hip Hop. I started to go to the Giant Step weekly with Ron Trent and then Legends started with Adam Scott. Giant Step moved to Shine. New York New York. I went everywhere I could.

IF I LOOKED IN YOUR CD PLAYER NOW, WHAT KIND OF MUSIC MIGHT I SEE?

Peven Everett never leaves, Moodymann also never leaves, Djinji Brown has been finding his way in the permanent play list. I like Stephan Harris and the Blackout he’s the next Roy Ayers on the Vibes. Mos Def, Talib, I’ve been listening to Lil Louis and the World a lot it’s amazing how new his album still sounds. Blaze and MAW are always on too.

HOW DOES THE SCENE IN SAN FRAN DIFFER FROM NY?

Well from my 4 yrs in NYC. Everybody goes out in NYC. I remember when Body&Soul first started the rumor was that they only played classics but that was entirely wrong they played everything. Some music nobody heard for months to a year unless you went every Sunday. I remember one night Francios K played an Adam F track off of the Logical Progression album off the hook you can tell he was dabbing the water by his expression and when everybody was like Word! You know music lovers not scenesters surround you. I liked that in NYC I only paid 8 bucks to see Louie Vega and Joe Claussell, or Joe, Danny and Francois. Where else can you do that? And then around the corner you can hang out with Groove Collective or the Roots for 5 dollar cover? Shows like that here are more like 20-30 but you can’t beat Cali greens and the steady 75 degrees.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO CHANGE MOST ABOUT THE SAN FRAN SCENE?

That list is equal to the amount of players here. The one thing I always liked about San Francisco was the sense of community it had. I hung out with everybody and everybody hung out with each other. I don’t see that now.

WHAT SEPRATES A GOOD DJ FROM A GREAT ONE?

Programming is big that’s how you get the ears to listen to something new. They paid 20 dollars you need to consider that. You can be the tightest mixer there but that only counts in a contest. Fans won’t complain when the music is hot. It’s not a competition you’re a selecta’ and people are there to have a good time we all are. But skill helps you understand timing that takes practice and good instincts.

http://www.bouncefm.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News &file=article&sid=564&mode=thread&order=1&am p;am p;thold=0

David Liam38267,7022337963

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.